John Conway’s Game of Life is a well-known cellular automaton. In Life, “cells” live on a two-dimensional grid and survive, reproduce, and die based on four simple rules:
- Any live cell with fewer than two live neighbours dies.
- Any live cell with more than three live neighbours dies.
- Any live cell with two or three live neighbours lives on.
- Any dead cell with exactly three live neighbours becomes a live cell.
SimpleLife 1.2 has the following features:
- An intuitive “playback” interface.
- A selection of interesting starting patterns.
- Save your own pattern for later playback.
Wikipedia has a good introduction to the game, including several interesting patterns that you can try in SimpleLife.
SimpleLife supports iOS devices with iOS 3.0 or higher. It is available for free download on the iTunes Store.
Special thanks to Devin Waterman and his dad Rob for helping me out with testing on the iPod touch. Thanks, guys!